The firm of Rees R & Sydney Jones can trace its origins to September, 1864, when the founder of the firm, Rees Rutland Jones commenced legal practice in Rockhampton. He arrived on the paddle wheel steamer “Clarence” with two other solicitors, who were also intending to practise in Rockhampton.
Initially, Rees Rutland Jones practised in his own account and in 1872, took his brother-in-law, William John Brown as a partner. As a result, the firm of “Rees R. Jones & Brown” was formed. Charles Sydney Jones became the third partner in the firm in 1884 and the name of “Rees Jones, Brown & Jones” was adopted by the new partnership. When William John Brown retired as a partner in 1886, the present name of “Rees R & Sydney Jones” became the name of the firm. This name has remained unchanged since 1886, and the firm is the oldest firm in Queensland practising under its original name. It is one of the oldest legal practices in the country.
Over the 150 years since Rees Jones commenced practice in Rockhampton, there have been 31 partners in the firm of “Rees R & Sydney Jones”, and its predecessors. The firm currently has 6 partners and is at the forefront of the recognition of female solicitors, with 50% of the partners now being female. This represents a significant development in the history of the firm, as there were only male partners of the firm until 2006, when Paula Phelan became the inaugural female partner of the firm.
The partners of the firm have seen extraordinary change since 1864. Rockhampton has developed into a thriving commercial centre and Central Queensland has grown into a grazing, farming and mining powerhouse, contributing significantly to the wealth of Queensland. Rees R & Sydney Jones has been an integral part of the growth of the city and the region. Whilst the current partners are proud of the prominent role that the firm has played in the development of Central Queensland, their sights are firmly set on the future. The firm has embraced new technology and modern ways of doing business, yet it has retained the same personal commitment to the clients of the firm, which has been its hallmark over the last 150 years. The firm is well positioned to maintain its prominent role in Central Queensland and looks forward to offering the same guidance and advice to future generations of Central Queensland families, as former partners of the firm have offered since 1864.
For more information about our history, please view the below publications.